HISTORY OF MEDAL
E. Malyshev, A. Jakkar.
Medals on the construction of the Alexander III Museum of Fine Arts were issued in gold, silver and bronze by the ceremony of the opening Museum on May 31, 1912.
On the obverse were depictured conjoined portrait of Emperors Alexander III and Nicholas II facing right with laurel branch to the left. On the reverse - Athena with laurel branch standing to the left from the Museum in front of the monument with a bust of Grand Duke Sergey Alexandrovich, the chairman of the Museum's Organizing Committee, and with inscription "In memory of the construction in Moscow the Alexander III Museum of Fine Arts, MDCCCCXII". The project and engraving of the medal was realized by medalist E. Malyshev and engraver A. Jakkar. It is known, that Ivan Tsvetaev, the founder and first director of the museum, did planning in 1911 a special badge with a figure of Athena for the members of Organizing Committee and supposed that his friend - the architect, Roman Kleyn could make a drawing with this symbol of the University. As we can see, the depiction of Athena is on the reverse of the medal, but not any badge with it dedicated to the opening of museum was ever made.