Coins and Medals Department, Pushkin
Отдел Коллекция Проекты Научная работа отдела Библиотека События Партнеры Меценаты

Partners

Brotherhood of St. Vladimir

Brotherhood of St. Vladimir

Archpriest Alexey Petrovich Maltsev (1854–1915) founded the Brotherhood of St. Vladimir in Berlin in 1890. Charity was the principal focus of the Brotherhood’s activity. The Brotherhood of St. Vladimir in Berlin is the oldest Russian benevolent society in Germany. At the present time the Brotherhood supports its churches in Germany and Poland and cares for the tomb of the founder, Archpriest Maltsev in the Saint Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Petersburg. The Brotherhood provides support for the Russian Orthodox Church. The society preserves Russian traditions and organizes presentations and lectures, charity concerts and educational activities. It also does this for children in Russia. The Brotherhood promotes ties with religious, cultural and non-commercial organizations and foundations in Russia. The Russian Embassy in Berlin has entrusted the Brotherhood with the upkeep of Russian monuments and graves in Germany since 2008. Since 1956, numismatic collection has been held in the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts. Coins&Medals Department of the Pushkin Museum keeps close friendly and partner relationships with Dimitrij Rahr, chairperson of the Brotherhood.

Uliana Volkova was admitted as a member in 2014.

The exhibition “Collection forgotten for a century”. Numismatic monuments from the Museum of the Russian History Abroad (at the Brotherhood of St. Vladimir) in the Collection of the State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts has been held in 2015.

Scientific Library of the Moscow University

Scientific Library of the Moscow University

Scientific Library of the Moscow University comprises more than 50 departments, 90 reading rooms for 5500 visitors, 1000 members of staff. It possesses circa 10 millions pieces, including 3 millions on the foreign languages. The most invaluable part of the Library's funds is stored in the Department of rare books and manuscripts, enumerating c. 400 000 specimens, starting from the manuscripts of the 11th century. The Library has book-exchange with more than 900 foreign partners (universities, libraries, scientific institutions). The Library plays the role of the methodical centre for the universities' libraries of Russia. Its structure comprises Central Methodical Cabinet for Library and Bibliographical Work of the Russian Ministry of Education and Science.

International Demidov Fund

International Demidov Fund

International Demidov Fund was founded in August 1992. Its statutes along with main aim of support and promotion of Russia's revival envisages fulfilment of long-term programs and projects grouped in three classes:

- study of Demidov' heritage, accomplishment of regular relevant scientific research and conducting special scientific conferences"Demidov Readings", memorial activity;

- support and encouragement of scientific researches, culture, education, arts and handicrafts;

- support and encouragement of projects in the field of real economy, industrial and agricultural production, conversion of military-industrial complex and development of high-tech industry.

State Public Historical Library

State Public Historical Library

State Public Historical Library is the biggest library institution of Russia specialised in the field of the historical literature. Its fund comprises c. 4 millions editions in 65 foreign languages and in 47 languages of the peoples of the former USSR. There are among them c. 2,5 millions books on historical sciences and related disciplines.

The Library possesses almost complete collections of the pre-revolutionary and Soviet literature on the history of Russia (USSR), general history, archaeology, ethnography, numismatics, heraldry and archive research. Editions on humanities as well as those on the history of science, Soviet and foreign literature, arts are well represented too. Library funds have considerable scientific and cultural importance.

In 2005 some unique books from the funds of the Historical library were displayed at the exhibition "History of numismatic collection", devoted to the 250th anniversary of the Moscow State University. There was "Thesaurus nummorum Sveo-Gothicorum" of 1731, written by Elias Brenner - founder of the Scandinavian numismatics. The book originated from the library of Count Alexei Uvarov. Another rarity was "Cataloque systematique et raisonne des curiosites et de la nature et de l'art" of 1806-1807, which came from the collection of Paul Demidov. These editions contained an important information on the origin of some Swedish medals, collected by Brenner and acquired later by P. Demidov, who gave them to the Moscow University.

State Shchusev Museum of Architecture

State Shchusev Museum of Architecture

State Shchusev Museum of Architecture is world's first specialised architectural Museum, founded due to the initiative of the Union of Soviet architects in 1934. Its collections reflecting thousand-year history of Russian architecture belong to the especially valuable objects of the cultural heritage of the Russian Federation. 

In 2005 at the exhibition "History of the numismatic collection" devoted to the 250th anniversary of the Moscow University and held in the Pushkin Museum engravings from the Shchusev Museum of Architecture were displayed.

Vernadsky Geological Museum

Vernadsky Geological Museum

Vernadsky Museum preserves collections accumulated during 250 years' period and coming from the all continents. In exhibition activity it continues and develops Vernadsky ideas on the unity of living and non-living nature, on the links of nature with Cosmos, on the turning biosphere into sphere of intellect (noosphere), on the human responsibility for the fate of enviroment.

Coins&Medals Department of the Pushkin Museum keeps close friendly and partner relationships with Vernadsky Museum. Consultations and other help provided by the non-commercial fund "Science and Future", organised by Vernadsky Museum allowed to hold in 2005 13th All-Russian Numismatic Conference and International Round Table in the Pushkin Museum. At the moment joint exhibition of gems, cameos and minerals from the funds of the both museums has been prepared.

The State Hermitage

The State Hermitage

The State Hermitage possesses collection comprising c. 3 millions pieces of art and culture. Paintings, graphics, sculpture, objects of applied arts, archaeological monuments and numismatics are among them.

The main ensemble  of the Hermitage situated in the centre of St Petersburg consists of the Winter Palace - former parade residence of Russian emperors, buildings of Small, Old and New Hermitages, Hermitage Theatre and Spare House. Menshikov Palace and East Wing of the Main Headquarters as well as restoration centre "Old Village" and Museum of Imperial Porcelain Factory belong to the museum complex.

Collection of coins, medals, awards, seals, paper money etc. stored in the Hermitage is one of the best in the world and enumerates more than 1,5 million pieces. Most prominent scholars of the 19th and 20th centuries were working with these collections. The Hermitage became member of the International Numismatic Comission in 2006. Staff of Coins&Medals Department of the Hermitage has been actively working on the regular organisation of various events promoting development of the numismatics in Russia, such as All-Russian numismatic conferences, seminars and round tables. Preparation of the exhibitions and intensive publishing of catalogues and collections of articles is one more important dicrection of this activity.

In 2005 unique gold and silver medals on the foundation of the Moscow University made by Dassier and stored in the Hermitage were exhibited in the Pushkin Museum. 

The State Historical Museum

The State Historical Museum

The State Historical Museum is the national largest historical museum. Its enormous collection is incomparable by its size and completeness with other Russian museums devoted to the history and culture of multi-national Russian State.

The Museum was founded in 1872 due to the public initiative. In 1881 it was given in charge of the Ministry of Public Education and thus became governmental institution. Great Duke Sergei Aleksandrovich became Honorary Chairman of the Museum and Count Alexei Uvarov was Associate of the Honorary Chairman and real Director of the Museum. In 1885 Ivan Zabelin became Director. Since 1894 the Museum has been called Imperial Russian Historical Museum named after Emperor Alexander III.  

The Museum  has collection enumerating circa 4,5 millions objects and more than 15 millions pages of various documents. This collection represented with all kinds of the museum exhibits (apart from those of natural history) is stored in 14 departments and 3 branches of the Museum.

The numismatic collection of the Museum contains more than 1,7 million pieces. Its nucleus was formed by the numismatic collection of the Imperial Moscow University given to the Museum in 1888 and counting about 9000 specimens. In due course a lot of first class private collections came to the Museum. One should mention collection of the founder of the Russian numismatic science A. Chertkov, that of Burachkov, who was collector and specialist in the coinage of the Northern Black Sea Littoral, lots from known collections of Shchukin, Stroganov, Uvarov as well as Oriental coins and Russian medals belonging to the famous Moscow collector Zubov.

Coins&Medals Department of the State Historical Museum was headed by prominent scholars -  A. Oreshnikov, Sivers, S. Yanina, A. Melnikova. The latter was initiator of the foundation of the Problem Council in Numismatics, which became predecessor of the numismatic conferences. The State Historical Museum is member of INC and FIDEM.

The State Museum of Oriental Art

The State Museum of Oriental Art

The State Museum of Oriental Art is an important cultural and educational centre, which has impressive collections of arts of Near and Far East as well as Middle Asia, Caucasus, Kazakhstan, Buryatia, Chukotka - all in all more than 160 thousands pieces. Museum belongs to the especially important objects of the Russian cultural heritage. Permanent exhibitions "Art of Korea", "Art of China", "Art of Japan", "Art of South-Eastern Asia (Vietnam, Birma, Laos, Thailand, Indonesia)", "Art of Caucasus (Northern Caucasus, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaidzhan)", "Art of Iran", "Art of India", "Art of Middle Asia and Kazakhstan", "Art of Buryatia, Mongolia and Tibet", "Art of the peoples of the North", "Paintings of Caucasus and Middle Asia", "Works of Rerikhs" are on display in the Museum. Museum as well hosts on the regular basis temporary exhibitions of the prominent Russian and foreign artists.

Moscow Mint

Moscow Mint

Moscow Mint became partner of the Pushkin Museum in 2004. Chief medallist of the Mint Michael Erokhin designed medal of the 13th All-Russian Numismatic Conference in 2005. 300 specimens of the medal were struck and distributed among the participants and representatives of the Russian and foreign museums, institutions and numismatic societies, who attended the conference. In the same year Moscow Mint by the order of the Pushkin Museum struck 300 medals cut by M. Erokhin and devoted to the 25th anniversary of the International Music Festival "Richter December Evevings".